Lots of you have offered to donate items to our new elementary school. We REALLY appreciate it! The problem is… we don’t have room to store everything. So, we have created an “online catalog” where you can upload photos of things you can donate and helpful volunteers will organize them. This will make it really easy for Summer and the new teachers to go “shopping” for donations when outfitting the new school, saving Exploris money that can be better spent elsewhere and making your family Recycling Heroes!
You are welcome to list anything you think we might use, but items especially needed are:
- Appliances like microwaves and coffee makers
- Closed storage
Here’s the catch: you will need to store the items until we are ready for them to be delivered to the new school. Also, we may not need every item that is offered but we won’t know what we need and don’t need for a while. So you may hold onto that floral sofa all summer only to find out that it won’t fit in the new school. We appreciate your understanding and patience in advance. If we definitely know we can’t use something, we will try to let you know as soon as possible.
Unless you are donating books or good condition puzzles and educational games! We can take those immediately. Just call Mary Margaret and arrange a time to drop them off at Exploris. Donna Orlowski has volunteered to organized all donated books and games over the summer.
Donations are tax deductible!
Want to list your donation?
Follow these simple steps:
- Make sure your item is in good condition. We want to use these items for a long time, so books that are falling apart and appliances that work intermittently are not the kind of items we need. A table with a scratch on it, however, is fine.
- Take a clear photograph of the item you have to donate. If you have more than one item, group them thoughtfully. For example, if you have 3 board games, grouping them together is fine. If you have a box of pencils and a chair, take a picture of each and email them separately. Remember, items are going to be grouped in categories to make it easy for staff to flip through (hopefully) hundreds of donations. Pictures should be under a meg, the smaller the better. If you have a smartphone, the easiest way is to open a new email, click to attach a photo, then take the picture. You can also use a camera and upload it to your computer to send.
- Email the photograph and description to the Flickr account where it will be posted automatically. Do the following:
- Email the photo to icy73feel @ photos.flickr.com (take out the spaces). You can also find the link to this address on the Exploris PTO blog.
- Put a simple description of the item(s) in the subject line. Ex. 3 Board Games – Operation, Candyland, and Hi-Ho Cherry-O
- Enter your contact information into the email body. Ex. Jane Q. Parent, 919-461-xxxx. email@example.com. OR (if you don’t want your contact info on the web) Jane Q. Parent, 3rd grade and 6th grade (we’ll look you up.) Non-parents can donate, too! If you don’t want your contact info on the web, contact Becky below.
- Attach your photograph and send.
- Check your item on Flickr to make sure everything worked. Your items will appear immediately on the Flickr “catalog”, so check here to make sure you are happy with your submission. If you need to change or add information about the item, upload a corrected entry and note that it has been corrected in the body of the email. A volunteer will delete the bad one later.
- Repeat until you have listed all items you want to donate. You can add items whenever you want, but try to get them done in the early part of the summer so they will be available for shopping.
Want to see what’s already been uploaded?
- The last three items are always listed in the top right-hand corner of explorispto.org.
- You can also visit https://www.flickr.com/photos/exploris-donations/.
- If you see something listed that you want to list as well, go ahead! We will need lots and lots of that same items, so please don’t hesitate to list whatever you have.
Want to donate items but don’t know how to handle this whole uploading thing? Have questions about the process?
Contact our parent who is coordinating donations, Becky Law, at 919.302.4212. You can also email her. Thanks!