The LAST Exploris Middle School Dance of the year is coming up Friday, February 19, so we thought we’d send out the FAQs again. It’s similar to the information that we sent out for the fall dance, but there are a few changes (including an important note at the end), so please read carefully!
- How much is admission? Admission is $5 at the door. In addition, we are asking attendees to bring in a non-perishable food item (or two…or a few!) that will support Ligon Middle School Backpack Buddies. Please bring food items to the dance and NOT to the middle school. By collecting items at the dance, we don’t need to worry about finding storage space at the school during the week. The food item donation is not a requirement, but kids that do bring in one or more items will be included in a prize drawing that will take place during the event. Students must be present to win! We are doing the food drive as a way to give back to the community in response to all of the prize donations we have received for both dances.
- Will elementary kids be there during the event? No, this is a middle school event only. In addition, while we appreciate (and need!) parents chaperoning, we ask that younger siblings not accompany you while chaperoning.
- What type of music will be played? Popular, “radio-version” music (including student requests from the last dance) will be played by the DJ, who has a lot of school dance experience. He knows that no inappropriate music should be played.
- Is there a dress code? Casual, appropriate clothing (no strapless tops, please). The temperature may feel warm in the space with all of the people and movement, so we would suggest clothing that isn’t too warm.
- How will drop-off and pick-up work? The parking lot of the elementary school will be blocked off from 6:15 – 10:00, so there will not be “carpool-style” drop-off or pick-up. We want to keep the entry area as safe as possible for students walking to/from the school entry as well as give parents a place to gather and visit as they wait for their students to come out. Only park in the school parking lot if you are a teacher or a confirmed chaperone. Students will sign themselves in when they enter.
- Are parents welcome? There will be enough teachers and parent chaperones present to make sure the event is fun and safe for everyone. If you need to pick up your child before 9:30, please feel free to come in, find your child and check out the scene! However, inside gathering space for adults will be extremely limited (the ES front lobby is very small) during the event, so we would discourage parents who are not signed up to be official chaperones from planning on using this event as an opportunity to hang out inside with other parents. But please feel free to hang out outside and chat! If a parent decides to attend the event, just be sure to follow all chaperone guidelines.
- A FINAL, IMPORTANT NOTE: This is an Exploris event only, so we cannot allow students to bring non-Exploris friends to the dance. In addition, students must be present for the entire day of school on 2/19 in order to be able to attend.
A huge thank-you to all of the parents who have already signed up to chaperone and/or provide food! We really appreciate it. Thanks also to our 8th grade committee who are helping with decorations and spreading the word. It’s going to be a LOT of fun!
Penney and Ann