Halifax Community Center
1015 Halifax St, Raleigh, NC 27604 (parking located near community center and on surrounding streets)
Saturday, Sept. 6
1pm – 3pm (Two separate art sessions scheduled 1:15-1:55 and 2:00-2:45)
K-5 Exploris Students Only for art sessions – This is NOT a drop-off event. One parent or guardian needs to stay with each sibling group.
**We need 3-4 parents to help with set-up at 1pm and clean up at 2:45. Please email Lisa Harris firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer.**
There will be 2 rounds of artmaking, 1:15-1:55 and 2:00 – 2:45. The other times while you and your children are there, you can play out on the playground.
At this event, we will focus on starting artwork that can be entered into the Exploris Soap Sales Art Contest. In the past, Exploris Middle School has had a wonderful fundraiser selling soap, lotions, lip balm, kitchen soap etc. that was marketed with original artwork all drawn by Exploris students. This year – the Elementary will also be included! 2 pieces of artwork will be chosen from each grade level and sent onto the soap company to be used to design the labels and packaging for the products that we can sell! Soap orders will be filled before the winter holidays, and make wonderful gifts.
On Sept. 6, Elementary school students will work on a draft of a design for the soap sale. Drafts will be sent home with families so that students can improve on them during the weeks prior to school starting. After art time, there will be a chance for the children to play together outside.
We hope you can join us for this fun afternoon of drawing and playing! BUT…if you can’t make the Art Day, no problem, here’s how to help your K-5 child participate in the Exploris Soap Sales Art Contest (middle school students will be completing their art during school)!
If your child would like to enter a drawing into the contest. She or he must:
- Choose from one of the artwork themes:
- Insects (butterflies, bees, dragonflies etc..)
- Winter Season
- An overall pattern or design
- Create an original drawing based on one of these themes. The drawing should be of a specific object or animal, OR should be an overall pattern or design. Drawings do not need backgrounds, but should be carefully drawn and colored. Drawings should not show erase marks or smudges.
- Drawings can be done with: markers, sharpies, colored pencils, or other drawing tools that produce clean lines that will not easily smear or smudge.
- Artwork should measure approximately 8 ½ x 11. The drawing does not have to completely fill the space, but should be large. Very tiny drawings cannot be well reproduced.
- Artwork should be clearly labeled on the back with the student’s name and grade level.
- In order to be considered, completed artwork must to be turned into the Elementary School office by Thursday, September 25. Artwork turned in after September 25 will not be eligible for the contest. Artwork should be turned in unbent or unwrinkled and free of smudges or tears.