There has been much rhetoric regarding proposed legislation to fund charter schools differently than they’ve been funded since 2010.
As a parent and supporter of our charter school, I feel the need to keep you all informed regarding some important proposed legislation.
Here is a link to House Bill 539. Begin reading at SECTION 2.(a) http://ncleg.net/Sessions/2015/Bills/House/PDF/H539v2.pdf
Additionally, here is an article that appeared on WRAL’s site yesterday: http://www.wral.com/charter-school-funding-change-re-emerges/14916959/
Regardless of your views on a variety of political topics, here are the facts that you should be aware of regarding Exploris and its funding:
- Exploris is a public school. Any student can attend regardless of academic aptitude, socio-economic level, race, disability, gender, religion, etc.
- Exploris is held accountable for the same outcomes as district schools. If any charter school is not performing with regards to governance, finances, or student achievement, it can be closed by the state.
- Prior to 2010, charter schools received an equal per pupil share of all local revenue dedicated to education.
- Exploris anticipates that it will receive $2,154,856 in state funding this year.
- Exploris anticipates that it will receive $913,494 in local funding this year, approximately $814,000 of which will come from Wake County.
- While Wake County brought in $69,294,553.77 that it dedicated for facilities last year, Exploris received no money for facilities.
- Exploris paid out $1,107,736.36 for facility costs last year. Since facilities aren’t factored into state and local monies, Exploris had to use money that otherwise would have gone to instruction or would otherwise support students. This further inhibits the school from implementing lunch and transportation programs. School districts have no such funding gap since their facilities are paid for and they have access to other sales tax ad valorem revenue.
- Any increase in either state or local monies that goes to Exploris decreases the above funding gap.
I wanted to share the above information so that parents can consider the school’s funding and the impact that this type of legislation could have on Exploris. This bill is being discussed now so time is of the essence. Parents in support of this legislation can take action here: Fair Funding
Thank you for taking the time to stay informed about our school!