- Boxtops due Feb. 21
- Teacher Workday this Friday
- North-South Bicycle Facility- Important Survey ends Feb. 3
- 8th graders in the news!
- Yearbook Reminders and Deadlines
- Exploris Food Donations- sign up
- PTO Volunteer Needs
- Parent University- Feb. 20
- Applications for 2021 due Feb. 7
- Upcoming Events
1. Boxtops for Education: The next Boxtops school submission deadline is Friday, February 21st. Please start sending them in to the school! Info: https://explorispto.org/fundraising/boxtops/
3. North-South Bicycle Facility SURVEY ends at NOON: Important: The City of Raleigh Downtown North-South Bicycle Facility may be placed on Harrington Street which would block the Exploris Middle School carpool lane.
An Open House on January 6, 2020 provided residents and interested parties to learn options about the Downtown North-South Bicycle Facility that will provide bicycle infrastructure on streets in downtown Raleigh connecting the Glenwood South and the Warehouse Districts as well as two future greenways. This project was formally referred to as the West St. or Harrington St. Cycletrack, but has been renamed to more accurately describe the scope of the project. The open house provided opportunities for public input on six potential options.
Survey: If you were unable to attend the open house, view the options and take the online survey at: https://publicinput.com/a234. The survey is open until February 3, 2020 at noon.
Timeline: After the survey closes on February 3, all public comments will be considered to choose the most favorable alternative for all parties involved. City designers will work to provide a 60% design concept for a public open house in Spring, 2020. The final design concept will then be presented to City Council. If approved, the project will be sent for a construction bid with a possible installation in Fall, 2020.
4. Design for Change Articles — Parents and students! Our 8th Grade students were published in SEVERAL articles for their design for change work and we just wanted to make sure you’d seen them!
- Single-Use Plastic Bag
- PFAs in the Haw River
- Design for Change Podcast about Plastics
- Pollution Detectives: Testing for Lead in our Water
5. Important Yearbook Reminders!
*Yearbooks for Sale – Click here to purchase your 2019-2020 yearbook.
*REPLAY IT APP Parents and students, can you please download the replay it app to your phones or use the website to submit pictures for yearbook! Thank you!
*Yearbook Ads for 8th graders!: You can purchase an ad in the yearbook to wish your 8th grader well! Here is the direct link if you want to check that out! DEADLINE IS FEBRUARY 13!
6. Please sign up to help with the Exploris food program!
Exploris counselor Michelle Duncan has set up several signups for our school food program. Please contribute if you can!
- https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080a4dafa62ca0fd0-student – Pantry stock
- https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040c49a9a929a3fb6-help – Panera donations
- https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080A4DAFA62CA0FD0-backpack – Backpack Buddies
7. PTO Volunteer Needs – email Allie at Volunteers@explorispto.org if you’re interested
- Middle School Opportunities:
- Committee Leads have asked for more middle school parent support. Most leads only have kids at the elementary school, and would like someone with more familiarity to help! Leads will continue to organize events and handle the details, but would love some MS parent input and/or specific assistance.
- Buildings & Grounds – ongoing throughout the year – Help with organization, landscaping, etc.
- Teacher Appreciation – 1st week in May with some planning before hand – Shower our teachers with goodies every day of Teacher Appreciation week
- Family Day Planning Committee:
- Are you interested in event planning? We need help planning food, fun events & games, setting up & decorating for Family Day on May 2. We need help both for pre-event planning and day-of set up (you don’t have to do both to volunteer!!)
- Silent Auction Help
- The Silent Auction is coming up before we know it (April 21 – May 2), and we need help procuring donations! Last year we raised $14,000 from community donations, most coming from face-to-face requests.
- We need help from our community to ask local businesses, corporations, and friends for donations to help our school. We will provide the information and ideas of who to ask if you will provide the manpower! Kristin Corson is leading this effort – email her at Fundraising@explorispto.org
- Exploris PTO Planning
- The PTO is reviewing some of our current functions to make sure we are doing what’s best for our school community. We are convening 2 committees to review – Spending and Mission & ByLaws. Time commitment is flexible, and after initial meetings may be able to be done via email. Contact Angelean at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in helping to shape the future of the PTO.
8. Parent University- February 20:
9. Exploris Applications due February 7
Applications are now being accepted for the 2020-2021 school year. Please remember to complete your applications for siblings by the February 7, 2020 deadline. We also ask that you share information about Exploris with your friends and neighbors. Please post the admissions link here to your social media pages to promote Exploris and ensure that all families are aware of the February 7, 2020 deadline. The lottery will be held on March 6, 2020. Good luck to all.
- Monday, February 3- Bike lane survey – last day to submit
- Friday, February 7 – Teacher Workday – Portfolio Conferences
- Exploris Applications Due
- Monday, Feb 17 and Tuesday, February 18 – Presidents’ Day Holiday
- Thursday, Feb 20- Parent University, “Screenagers” 6:30pm at Longleaf
- Friday March 6 – End of Second Trimester
- Monday, March 9 and Tuesday March 10 – Teacher Workdays
- Spring Break – Friday, April 3 (3:15pm) – Tuesday, April 14 (8am)
- Tuesday, April 21- Silent Auction Kickoff at Lynwood Brewing
- Saturday, May 2- Exploris Family Day and Silent Auction Finale
- Friday, May 15 – Teacher Workday
- Friday, May 22 – No School for 8th grade only – passage portfolios
- Monday, May 25- Memorial Day Holiday
- June 1 – June 12 – EOG Testing Window
- Friday, June 12 – 8th Grade Graduation (10:30 am), early dismissal
- Friday, June 12 – End of Third Trimester, last day of school
The 2019-20 Exploris Google Calendar and PTO Calendar links are here: https://explorispto.org/about/calendar/
Thanks for reading the Monday Minute! We publish this Exploris PTO blog post each Monday during the school year.
If you would like to submit information, please email your text (copy ready), photos, and links to Dana Deaton by 9pm Sunday at email@example.com