- Boxtops due Feb. 21
- Blessing Bags
- Parent University- Feb. 20
- Please buy your yearbook now!
- Help for Refugees
- Exploris Lightning Ultimate Frisbee Team
- 8th graders in the news!
- Exploris Food Donations- sign up
- Exploris February Newsletter online now
- Upcoming Events
PTO MEETING TONIGHT, February 10! Join us at the elementary school starting at 6:30. Info: https://www.facebook.com/events/124632008870469/
1. Boxtops for Education: The next Boxtops school submission deadline is Friday, February 21st. Please start sending them in to the school! Info: https://explorispto.org/fundraising/boxtops/
3. Parent University- February 20:
4. Please purchase your yearbook now- don’t wait until the end of the year!
*Yearbooks for Sale – Click here to purchase your 2019-2020 yearbook.
*REPLAY IT APP Parents and students, can you please download the replay it app to your phones or use the website to submit pictures for yearbook! Thank you!
*Yearbook Ads for 8th graders!: You can purchase an ad in the yearbook to wish your 8th grader well! Here is the direct link if you want to check that out! DEADLINE IS FEBRUARY 13!
Dear Students and Parents,
Our 8th Grade service learning group has taken on a refugee family from the Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). It has been hard for them since they have been in a refugee camp for 20 years as well as being stuck in a country that has some very bad war and political issues. The DRC has also been ravaged with major diseases, which is why it is important that we get them everything they need to have a healthy home life when they arrive here in the U.S.
We have created a Sign Up Genius with the stuff they need, if you have any of these please donate and get this family what they need. If you have an item that has already been donated, please pay it forward to other Raleigh families and donate to the Green Chair Project.
We do not know the move in date, but we are trying to identify families that have pick-up trucks and are interested in helping. We will get a 10 day notice once the United Nations releases them for resettlement. Then we have about 12 hours to clean and set up the apartment before we pick them up at the airport.
We are also seeking families interested in greeting the family when they arrive at the airport. The family also speaks Kiswahili and the father speaks some French and English.
Thank you. Redick Kent, Grayson Cuffe, Will Kern, Baker Bandiero, and Adam Saib
6. Exploris Lightning Ultimate Frisbee Team Takes 3rd Place in Multi-County Middle School Tournament!
The Exploris Lightning Ultimate Frisbee team competed in the Triangle Ultimate Middle School League Tournament on Saturday, February 1st.
After winning 4 out of 5 exciting back-to-back games, they brought home 3rd place in the U15, Open Division II competition comprised of 15 teams from across Wake, Durham, Orange, and Chatham counties.
Watching them play all season has been a joy as they have refined existing skills and learned new ones, all while coming together as a powerful team.
7. Design for Change Articles — Parents and students! Our 8th Grade students were published in SEVERAL articles for their design for change work and we just wanted to make sure you’d seen them!
8. Please sign up to help with the Exploris food program! Exploris counselor Michelle Duncan has set up several signups for our school food program. Please contribute if you can!
- https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080a4dafa62ca0fd0-student – Pantry stock
- https://www.signupgenius.com/go/9040c49a9a929a3fb6-help – Panera donations
- https://www.signupgenius.com/go/5080A4DAFA62CA0FD0-backpack – Backpack Buddies
9. February Exploris Newsletter online
Please read the monthly school newsletter for facilities updates, grade level news, and calendar info! February Newsletter
- Monday, Feb 17 and Tuesday, February 18 – Presidents’ Day Holiday
- Thursday, Feb 20- Parent University, “Screenagers” 6:30pm at Longleaf
- Friday March 6 – End of Second Trimester
- Monday, March 9 and Tuesday March 10 – Teacher Workdays
- Spring Break – Friday, April 3 (3:15pm) – Tuesday, April 14 (8am)
- Tuesday, April 21- Silent Auction Kickoff at Lynwood Brewing
- Saturday, May 2- Exploris Family Day and Silent Auction Finale
- Friday, May 15 – Teacher Workday
- Friday, May 22 – No School for 8th grade only – passage portfolios
- Monday, May 25- Memorial Day Holiday
- June 1 – June 12 – EOG Testing Window
- Friday, June 12 – 8th Grade Graduation (10:30 am), early dismissal
- Friday, June 12 – End of Third Trimester, last day of school
The 2019-20 Exploris Google Calendar and PTO Calendar links are here: https://explorispto.org/about/calendar/
Thanks for reading the Monday Minute! We publish this Exploris PTO blog post each Monday during the school year.
If you would like to submit information, please email your text (copy ready), photos, and links to Dana Deaton by 9pm Sunday at email@example.com